ALA Girls Nation
Since 1947, more than 7,000 politically astute young women have attended ALA Girls Nation in Washington D.C., gleaning a firsthand glimpse of the inner workings of federal government and a chance to experience civics and American government outside the textbook. Every year, two girls are selected from each ALA Girls State program to attend ALA Girls Nation, an additional weeklong learning experience in federal governance, leadership development and American heritage. As Girls Nation “senators” they campaign for political office, craft and debate the passage of legislation and meet with their real-life counterparts on Capitol Hill.
Click here for program details.
Our modified program for 2021 does not include voting for offices which would typically happen in our face-to-face program. This includes the two U.S. Senators who attend ALA Girls Nation. Instead, this year we will have an open application for any girls interested in attending ALA Girls Nation to represent Evergreen Girls State. As a Girls State Senator you will participate in the week-long program in Washington, D.C., which includes writing and debating legislation, networking with our Girls State girls from around the country, visiting the U.S. Capitol and other significant landmarks, and more.
- Current high school junior (Class of 2022)
- Available July 24-31, 2021 for program in Washington, D.C. (No Exceptions)
- Submit application by June 21 deadline
- What gifts and talents do you bring to the table that make you the ideal candidate to represent our state at ALA Girls Nation?
- What do you hope to gain from your experience at ALA Girls Nation?